| 'Self-Portrait with Ancestor' 2008 By Daniel Monteath |
I never really made myself go through the torture side of the self-portrait so much. I just drew a grid on a photo I took and painted it as if by numbers. Easy peasy! What artists back before photography would have done must have been extensive. Mirrors, lighting, keeping still, getting all the angles just right all the time. Model and artist in one. It's intense. I almost can't believe it exists and that I have been naive to it's awesome power.
I would really like everyone in the world to participate in like a world Self-portrait day with the purpose of self-reflection and appreciation. I really feel that painting ones portrait is a massive act of respect and adoration, a glorification of an image, if you will. I think it's a very important phenomenon.
Some might say it's an example of Narcissism. However many self-portraits I've seen have not always been flattering for the artist. I also have noted that several artists have taken more metaphorical approaches to the traditional portrait format. I remember seeing a readymade sculpture that was titled 'Self-portrait' for example.
| 'Self-portrait with river and sacrificial doe' 2012 By Daniel Monteath |
| 'Self-Portrait with Ghostman on Skis' 2012 By Daniel Monteath |
'Self-Portrait with Ghostman on Skis' is a study of my head looking up towards the ceiling. I gave myself faun ears in this painting as well. Pretty much, I was fascinated by the idea of transforming my image by creating a context that was purely designed to disguise the image. This is very much a meditation on a Dali technique that provides the viewer with a surprise image after an initial first inspection.
Next blog entry: Creating Self-portraits in the Recording Studio.
| Recording at SIT Sound in Invercargill 2012 |
No comments:
Post a Comment